With the holidays fast approaching, I bet you are thinking more about food and family time than putting your home on the market. Usually, around this time of year, many homeowners decide to wait until after the holidays to list their houses. In addition, others who already have their homes on the market remove their listings until the spring. It might sound crazy but there are a few good reasons why selling your home over the holidays can be advantageous to you!
You are told by others that you should wait for the frenzy of the spring selling season, but sometimes you don’t need to wait to put your home on the market. So don’t feel like you have to hate the time from November through January.
Here are some tips on Selling During the Holiday Season
- Relocation buyers are out there! Many companies are hiring throughout the holidays, and they need new employees to start as soon as possible.
- There are serious buyers who are looking for homes during the holidays and are ready to buy now.
- Homes show better when decorated for the holidays. They are comfy and homey.
- Potential buyers have more time to search and shop for homes. Usually people have more time off from their job during the holiday season.
- You can remain in control and restrict the showings on your home to days and times that are most convenient for you.
- Smoother Transition in selling. The number of homes sold during the holiday season is fewer than the number of homes sold during the often hectic spring market. Since there are fewer real estate transactions occurring during the holiday season, this means that the professionals who are involved in a real estate transaction aren’t juggling as many transactions.
- There is minimal competition for you as a seller right now. Many sellers take their homes off the market or delay listing their property all together until the spring.
Tips and Tricks when listing your home during the holidays:
Be flexible with showing your home. Buyers are busy this time of year so be more accommodating.
Don’t go overboard on the decorations.
Price your home to sell. Now isn’t the time to overprice your home and risk the chance that it will sit. There are fewer buyers and less activity out there, so you want to tap into that market not scare it away!
Target buyers on a deadline. There is a market of buyers who tend to move or look for homes during this time.
Take awesome photos and a video tour of your home. Buyers may not venture outside as much to view homes and may create their must-see list after looking online. So make sure you give a good impression of your home through photos or a video tour.
There will always be a stigma that selling a home during the holidays is a terrible idea, but as shown above, there are some valid reasons to list during this time. As you’re deciding whether to list your home during the holidays or not, you should evaluate which seems to be the best fit for you. Contact me today and I would love to guide you through the process and see if now is the time for you to list.