Buying a Home in your 20’s
Nowadays buying a home in your 20’s might seem like a dream, between entry-level salaries, college loans, and the desire to just be young and have fun. 20-somethings definitely believe homeownership is beyond their reach.
Fun fact though, millennials are increasingly opting to buy a house in their 20s, as an investment and to get an early start on home ownership. If you have decided where you want to settle down, such as San Diego, and if you are ready for the responsibility, then read on to learn how to get started.
- Save for a Down Payment
- Work on the Student Loan (pay on time)
- Check that Credit Score
- Purchase a Starter Home
- Plan for Unexpected Expenses
Owning a home is a great money move.
Here’s how to buy a home in your 20s and make it happen when you don’t make a lot of money.
- Figure out where you want to live, realize you will be there for at least a few years, and then figure out how much you can afford in that neighborhood.
- Get pre-approved. This is key. You shouldn’t be looking at homes until you know how much house you can afford.
- Aggressively save for a year. This is the most important step you should take if you want to buy a home in your 20s.
- Research first time home buyer incentives and grants. There could be something perfect out there for your situation. Message me and I can help you get started with this.
- Do not get more home than you can afford. Just because they approved you for an amount, that doesn’t mean you have to buy up to that limit.
Home ownership is smart, but it can be expensive if you don’t prepare.
It is entirely possible to buy a home in your 20s, and it will benefit you big-time down the road. Doing thorough research before buying a house, results in you having the best information to make a decision. While getting pre-qualifications and preapprovals of the loan will put you on a better footing with the seller.
Buying a house in your 20s can be a rewarding experience and it can help you put down a solid foundation for investments as you grow older. Remember, almost any house can be turned into your dream home with a little elbow grease and vision, so don’t let a move-in ready home blow your budget.
Take a look at some of my current listings and if you want to learn more about getting into a home, contact me now.
Leave a Comment