“While you could do this at any time of the year, there’s just something special about being outside on a late summer night and contemplating the questions of the universe.”
August is San Diego’s hottest month of the year, but it’s still quite pleasant with temperatures in the mid to high 70s. Surfing season begins, and tuna sportfishing season is in full swing.
All of summer is usually a busy tourist time in San Diego because of its many family-oriented attractions, but the crowds get even worse toward the end of the summer when visitors from Phoenix and other hotter places head to San Diego to escape the heat.
As we know, this is no ordinary summer. Quarantine Summer, who would have guessed!
Because of coronavirus, it’s it has been a season without concerts or festivals, without Padres games or Comic-Con and sooo soo much more!
Check out this list of things to do and places to visit that I have compiled for you. Enjoy and make the best out of this 2020 Summer!
- Kayak at La Jolla Shores – This summer is a great time to kayak at La Jolla Shores to see the Sea Caves, marine life, and leopard sharks. Several different companies offer kayaking tours, or you can launch your own kayak at the free boat ramp.
- Old Town San Diego Partially Open – explore the historic Old Town district in San Diego. Enjoy some of the classic restaurants and their outdoor dining areas. Make the best of this summer.
- Farmers Markets – most weekends and weekdays throughout San Diego county. Enjoy fresh local produce, flowers, and yummy food at one of the San Diego farmer’s markets. Check here to see which ones are open and at what times.
- San Diego Zoo and Safari Park – Our favorite local zoo and safari park are open with half capacity on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Carlsbad Art in the Village – Sunday, August 23 2020 from 9 AM to 5 PM on Grand Avenue in Carlsbad, California. Over 125 local and regional fine artists are featured in the Village of Carlsbad, just 2 blocks from the beach.
- Bike The Bay – Modified for 2020 to Bike your Neighborhood – Sunday, August 23, 2020, is your chance to join in the fun and bike your neighborhood (most years you would get to ride across the San Diego Coronado Bay Bridge and it all starts with a cruise around the San Diego Bay).
- Various Beaches – There are so many great and beautiful beaches to choose from. You can ditch the crowds at Sunset Cliffs and head south to capture the perfect Instagram-worthy sunset shot. Go to Imperial Beach. Position yourself near the pier, and go for your best shot.
SAN DIEGO PADRES GAMES! – Check out the games online and don’t miss our team play!
Want to see what else is open this summer? Check out last month’s things to do in San Diego list.